News & Media


Penske to run Roush Yates' Ford engines

August 07, 2012, , NASCAR.com

Instead of using its own independent engine shop when it switches from Dodge to Ford in 2013, Penske Racing will race with engines supplied by Roush Yates Engines, it was announced Monday.

The decision means all of the Ford teams will be running the FR9 engine next season, according to a statement quoting Penske Racing president Tim Cindric.

"Ford has been consistent in its belief that we will be stronger with one engine specification rather than continuing with an independent approach," Cindric said. "Roush Yates has a proven record, and we are looking forward to many successes together."

Penske Racing, which fielded Fords between 1991 and 2002, will join Roush Fenway, Richard Petty Motorsports and the Wood Brothers under the blue oval banner.

It's a move that Roush Yates Engines CEO Doug Yates deemed "an honor."

"I have always admired Roger Penske as a team owner and a respected businessman in our sport and beyond," Yates said. "I am looking forward to many wins, championships and other successes in supporting the Penske organization."

Penske previously had said he wouldn't shut down his engine shop, even if the decision was made to purchase engines from another organization. That leaves open the possibility that Penske could serve as engine supplier for any teams that might decide to run under the Dodge banner in 2013.

All four manufacturers have unveiled new body templates for the 2013 Cup season and have been given approval from NASCAR to begin manufacturing parts. However, Dodge will not be represented at the first on-track testing of the 2013 model on Tuesday and Wednesday at Martinsville Speedway.