News & Media


Bayne's 2013 plans include full-time Nationwide with Roush, part-time Cup with Woods

September 18, 2012, Mark Aumann, NASCAR.com



Bayne's 2013 plans include full-time Nationwide with Roush, part-time Cup with Woods
Other plans include part-time Cup work in No. 21 Ford with Wood Brothers

It took Trevor Bayne a couple of days to get over what disappointment he may have felt about not getting a shot at Jack Roush's open Cup ride for 2013. But Ricky Stenhouse Jr.'s "hand-me-downs" are definitely a nice consolation prize.

At Chicagoland Speedway last weekend, Roush announced plans to move Stenhouse into Matt Kenseth's No. 17 Ford in 2013, with Bayne taking over the full-time Nationwide seat currently occupied by the 2011 series champion and current points leader.

"It sounds like we're pretty good on running the Nationwide program full-time next year for a championship," Bayne said Sunday in the garage area. "At first, it was kind of hard for me, because I'd love to be running full-time in Cup, but now I'm excited about it, I really am.

"They've got such a strong program there with Mike Kelley. The cars have been fast. To have the chance to hop in that equipment and go run for a championship could be really good for us."

Bayne will continue to make occasional forays into Cup next season, when the Wood Brothers enter their No. 21 Ford.

"That's pretty much the plan, same thing as last year: a full-time Nationwide deal and a part-time Cup deal," Bayne said.

Bayne said he would have jumped at the opportunity to join Greg Biffle and Carl Edwards at NASCAR's premier level, but he understands the decision-making process.

"Being 21, I get impatient a little bit, but it's the smart thing for me to go win a championship or run up front and build that confidence before you get over here into the Cup side," Bayne said.