France: Keselowski won't be fined for comments
April 15, 2013, Staff report, NASCAR.com
Brad Keselowski will not be fined for his critical comments toward NASCAR following Saturday night’s race at Texas Motor Speedway, according to NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France.
Keselowski said his Penske Racing team was being unfairly targeted after NASCAR confiscated the rear-end housings from Keselowski’s car and teammate Joey Logano’s car just before the race.
When asked Monday on the Fox Business network whether he was going to fine Keselowski, France said, “No we’re not. That’s the beauty of NASCAR, we do allow the drivers to express themselves in that way, even if they say things that we would disagree with. And I would certainly disagree with everything that he said.”
Earlier this season NASCAR fined Denny Hamlin $25,000 for disparaging comments about the Generation-6 car, but France drew a distinction between Hamlin’s comments and the ones made by Keselowski.
“The line that we draw is that you can’t criticize the racing product,” France said. “You can criticize our decisions, you can criticize everything else, which is more than any other sport might allow. But just don’t go talking about our racing product isn’t the best in the world, because it is.”
Later Monday, NASCAR’s chief communications officer, Brett Jewkes, said in a Tweet that “NASCAR was still reviewing multiple issues from (the) past weekend but can confirm @Keselowski will not be fined for post-race comments … however, we do disagree with Brad’s comments.”
Comments are currently unavailable. We’re working on the development of a NASCAR fan forum – please stay tuned.