Humphrey Racing pauses for 'retooling'
June 24, 2014, David Caraviello, NASCAR.com
RELATED: Play NASCAR Fantasy Live | Sign up for RaceView today
Randy Humphrey's race team won't be at Kentucky Speedway this weekend -- but that's not because the operation is shutting down.
"We're retooling things," Humphrey said Tuesday by telephone. "We're just trying to find the right people. ... We have not shut down."
The No. 77 car of Randy Humphrey Racing has competed in four NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events this season, all with veteran driver Dave Blaney behind the wheel. The team had entered every race until this past weekend's event on the Sonoma Raceway road course, although it ultimately withdrew from the Daytona 500, the most recent oval race at Michigan International Speedway two weeks ago, and two other events earlier this year.
Humphrey said the hiatus isn't due to funding -- the competition level of his No. 77 car simply wasn't what he had hoped. Blaney recorded a 43rd-place finish in the team's most recent start at Pocono Raceway, and his best result was 33rd at Dover International Speedway. The team also has failed to qualify for seven other races this season.
"It has nothing to do with financials, it's really more about people and people issues," Humphrey said. "We just weren't as competitive as I wanted us to be, and that really revolves around people. It has nothing to do with financials. I don't have any debt, I own all my stuff. There are no problems like that. It's just a matter of trying to work our way through where we are."
Humphrey said he hopes to return to the track for the July 27 Crown Royal Presents the John Walding 400 at The Brickyard at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
"You will not see us at Daytona (next weekend), but I do suspect you will be seeing us at Indy forward, hopefully," he said. "That's our plan. We have some meetings that are going on, and we're just interviewing some people. We had to retool some people and that kind of thing to get ourselves in order here."