Blaney downplays Cup future, eyes Truck title
August 01, 2014, Kenny Bruce, NASCAR.com
According to a report Friday, Blaney, 20, is in line to move into the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in 2015 to run a limited schedule with Wood Brothers Racing while also competing in the NASCAR Nationwide Series for Team Penske.
Blaney currently runs a full schedule in the Truck Series for Brad Keselowski Racing, and has made seven Nationwide Series starts this year for Team Penske, for whom Keselowski competes in Cup.
Blaney does have one career Sprint Cup start, making his debut with Team Penske earlier this season at Kansas. He finished 27th.
"We're focused on winning the truck championship this year and focused on this weekend at Pocono," Blaney said. "Keep growing this (program). Those days will sort themselves out down the road."
Wood Brothers Racing, which has fielded teams in NASCAR's premier series since 1953, runs a limited schedule with driver Trevor Bayne and has been affiliated with Roush Fenway Racing, another Ford organization. RFR officials announced earlier this year that Bayne, the 2011 Daytona 500 winner, would compete for the organization full-time in Cup beginning in 2015.
Team Penske Vice President Jonathan Gibson said via email Friday that the organization has plans for Blaney's future.
"Ryan Blaney continues to do a great job with our organization and we have a plan for his progression within Team Penske," he said. "While we have had some discussions with our partners at Ford, nothing has been finalized."
Blaney enters Saturday's Pocono Mountains 150 as the series points leader and defending champion of the race. He has finished in the top five in five of his last six starts.
"Right now," he said, "I'm focused with the truck team at BKR and trying to win as many of these races, along with Nationwide races, as we can."