NASCAR.COM Privacy Statement
What’s New in the Updated Privacy Statement? We have updated the privacy statement applicable to our online and mobile websites, digital services, and applications and clarified data collection, usage and sharing practices among NASCAR and its marketing partners. Please take the time to read the full privacy statement. You consent to the data collection, use, disclosure and storage practices described in this privacy statement when you use NASCAR.COM (as described below), including when you access any content or videos.
The Information We Collect
We receive both information that is directly provided to us, such as personal information you provide when you visit NASCAR.COM, and information that is passively or automatically collected from you, such as anonymous information collected from your browser or device. In this privacy statement, we refer to all of this as the “Information.”
1. Information You Provide to Us. At NASCAR.COM, you can register, order products, enter contests, vote in polls or otherwise express an opinion, subscribe to one of our services such as our online newsletters or text message alerts, or participate in one of our online forums or communities. In the course of these various offerings, we often seek to collect from you various forms of Information, such as: name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, credit card information. In addition, we may have access to information that identifies your mobile device and telecommunications carrier.
At NASCAR.COM, you may also be able to submit Information about other people. For example, you might submit a person's name and e-mail address to send an electronic greeting card and, if you order a gift online and want it sent directly to the recipient, you might submit the recipient's name and address. This Information may include, for instance, a recipient's name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number.
2. Information That is Passively or Automatically Collected. We, and our “Partners” who include our third party service providers, advertisers, advertising networks and platforms, agencies, and distribution or other partners may use automated means to collect various types of Information about you, your computer or other device used to access NASCAR.COM. A representative, non-exhaustive list of the types of automatically collected Information may include: network or Internet protocol address and type of browser you are using (e.g., Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer), the type of operating system you are using, (e.g., Microsoft Windows or Mac OS), the name of your Internet service provider (e.g., Comcast, Verizon or AT&T) and domains used by such providers, mobile network, device identifiers (such as Apple IDFA or an Android Advertising ID), device settings, browser settings, the web pages of NASCAR.COM you have visited, sites visited before and after you visit NASCAR.COM, the type of handheld or mobile device used to view NASCAR.COM (e.g., iOS, Android), location information, and the content and advertisements you have accessed, seen, forwarded and/or clicked on. Please see the Section titled Cookies, and Other User and Ad-Targeting Technologies for more information about how the foregoing Information may be collected and used.
3. Geo-location Information. If you are accessing NASCAR.COM from a mobile device or through a mobile application, you may be asked to share your precise (GPS level) geo-location information with us so we can customize your experience on NASCAR.COM or on other services, when we work with a Partner such as a third party mobile ad platform. If you agree to such collection, in most cases, you will be able to turn off such data collection at any time by accessing the privacy settings of your mobile device and/or through the settings in the applicable mobile application.
When we interact with you through our content on third party websites, applications, integrations or platforms, we may obtain any information regarding your interaction with that content, such as content you have viewed, your game performance, high scores, and information about advertisements within the content you have been shown or may have clicked on.
How We Use the Information
We, along with our Partners, may use the Information to:
1. provide and communicate with you about NASCAR.COM, such as to fulfill a request by you for an online newsletter or notification, or to contact you about your account with us,
2. fulfill your requests for our products, programs, and services, including without limitation requests for newsletters and notifications,
3. respond to your inquiries, and notify you if you have won one of our contests,
4. communicate with you about other products, programs or services that we believe may be of interest to you,
6. provide technical support for NASCAR.COM,
7. prevent fraud or potentially illegal activities (including, without limitation, copyright infringement) on or through NASCAR.COM,
8. protect the safety of our users,
9. customize or personalize ads, offers and content made available to you based on your visits to and/or usage of NASCAR.COM or other online or mobile websites, applications, platforms or services, and analyze the performance of those ads, offers and content, as well as your interaction with them,
10. perform analysis regarding how you use NASCAR.COM or any part thereof,
11. send gifts, cards, invitations or emails if you use these services, to your designated recipients.
When you provide information from your social media account, it can help enable us to do things like (1) give you exclusive content, (2) personalize your online experience with us within and outside our applications or websites, (3) contact you through the social media service or directly by sending you the latest news, special offerings, and rewards, and (4) enable you to share your experience and content via social media services. When you provide information about yourself to us through an application, on our sites, or on social media services or other third party platforms, it may be publicly viewed by other members of these sites and we cannot prevent further use of the information by third parties.
We or a Partner may use “cookies” or similar technologies to associate certain of the Information with a unique identifier that then associates the Information with your device or browser. For information about how these technologies work and how we may use them, please go to the Section titled Cookies, And Other Users and Ad-Targeting Technologies.
Sometimes, we may associate cookies with the Information, including de-identified, “hashed,” or anonymous versions of Information you have provided (such as during registration), in order to send or help our Partners send ads and offers based on your presumed interests or demographic information.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
We may disclose the Information as follows:
1. To service providers or Partners that we have engaged to perform business-related functions on our behalf. This may include service providers that: (a) conduct research and analytics; (b) create content; (c) provide customer, technical or operational support; (d) conduct or support marketing (such as email or advertising platforms); (e) fulfill orders and user requests; (f) handle payments; (g) host NASCAR.COM, forums and online communities; (h) administer contests; (i) maintain databases; (j) send or support online or mobile advertising; and (k) otherwise support NASCAR.COM.
2. In response to legal process, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena, a law enforcement or government agency's request or similar request, or where we believe in our sole discretion it is necessary
4. We may transfer some or all of your Information if we, or one of our business units, undergoes a business transition, like a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or part of our assets, or if a substantial portion of our or of a business unit’s assets is sold or merged in this way.
5. We may share the Information with affiliates, so they can provide, improve and communicate with you about their own, or their marketing partners’ products and services.
6. We may share the Information with unaffiliated Partners and third parties (e.g., our third party service providers, advertisers, advertising networks and platforms, agencies, other marketers, magazine publishers, retailers, participatory databases, and non-profit organizations) that wish to market products or services to you. In addition, we may disclose Information that identifies your mobile device, telecommunications carrier and information regarding your access/use of NASCAR.COM mobile applications to NASCAR’s wireless communications partner.
If you wish to opt out from such sharing please visit the How to Contact Us/Opting Out of Marketing Communications section below for further instructions.
Please note that NASCAR.COM may offer content (e.g., contests, sweepstakes, promotions, games, applications, or social network integrations) that is sponsored or co-branded with identified third parties. By virtue of these relationships, the third parties may obtain information from their visitors. We have no control over these third parties’ use of this information, which is subject to their own privacy policies.
Cookies and Other User and Ad-Targeting Technologies
2. Synching Cookies and Identifiers. We may work with our Partners (for instance, third party ad platforms) to synchronize unique, anonymous identifiers (such as those associated with cookies) in order to match our Partner’s uniquely coded user identifiers to our own. We may do this, for instance, to enhance data points about a particular unique browser or device, and thus enable us or others to send ads that are more relevant, match users to their likely product interests, or better synchronize, cap, or optimize advertising.
3. Locally Stored Objects. NASCAR.COM may employ locally stored objects (“LSOs”) and other client side storage tracking technologies in certain situations where they help to provide a better user experience, such as to remember settings, preferences and usage similar to browser cookies, or in order to target or help our Partners target ads, analyze ads performance, or perform user, website or market analytics. For LSOs utilized by Adobe Flash you can access your Flash management tools from Adobe's website. In addition, some, but not all browsers, provide the ability to remove LSOs, sometimes within cookie and privacy settings.
4. Disabling Cookies.
We may work with certain third-party companies that use techniques other than HTTP cookies to recognize your computer or device and/or to collect and record information about your web surfing activity, including those integrated with NASCAR.COM. Please keep in mind that your web browser may not permit you to block the use of these techniques, and those browser settings that block conventional cookies may have no effect on such techniques. To learn more about Interest-Based Advertising or to opt-out of this type of advertising by those third parties that are members of DAA's opt-out program, please go to http://www.aboutads.info.
5. Web Beacons. We and our Partners may also use "web beacons" or clear GIFs, or similar technologies, which are small pieces of code placed on a web page or in an email, to monitor the behavior and collect data about the visitors viewing a web page or email. For example, web beacons may be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page. Web beacons may also be used to provide information on the effectiveness of our email campaigns (e.g., open rates, clicks, forwards, etc.).
6. Mobile Device Identifiers and SDKs.
We also sometimes use, or partner with publishers, publisher-facing, or app developer platforms that use mobile Software Development Kits ("SDKs"), or use an SDK with a mobile app that we offer, to collect Information, such as mobile identifiers (e.g., IDFAs and Android Advertising IDs), and Information connected to how mobile devices interact with NASCAR.COM products and services and those using NASCAR.COM. A mobile SDK is the mobile app version of a web beacon (see "Web Beacons" above). The SDK is a bit of computer code that app developers can include in their apps to enable ads to be shown, data to be collected, and related services or analytics to be performed. We may use this technology to deliver or help our Partners deliver certain advertising through mobile applications and browsers based on information associated with your mobile device. If you'd like to opt-out from having ads tailored to you in this way on your mobile device, please follow the instructions in the "Your Ad Choices" section below.
By visiting NASCAR.COM, whether as a registered user or otherwise, you acknowledge, and agree that you are giving us your consent to track your activities and your use of NASCAR.COM through the technologies described above, as well as similar technologies developed in the future, and that we may use such tracking technologies in the emails we send to you.
Our unaffiliated Partners and third parties may themselves set and access their own tracking technologies when you visit NASCAR.COM and they may have access to information about you and your online activities over time and across different websites or applications when you use NASCAR.COM. Their use of such tracking technologies is not in our control and is subject to their own privacy policies.
Your Ad Choices
Advertising enables us to provide the rich content, and to provide much of this content free of cost to our users. Thus, we strive to provide you with ads that are relevant to you and for products you may want. However, we also offer you choices with regard to interest-based ads.
To learn more about interest-based ads and the choices available to you, please visit our page, which has general information about certain companies that place these ads. Additionally, we sometimes utilize Adobe technology to customize advertising you may see on our site or other sites. You can opt out of the receipt of targeted advertising utilizing Adobe technology by clicking here.
You may also find more information about entities involved in online advertising and additional choices you may make through the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") at the NAI site and the Digital Advertising Alliance (the "DAA") a the DAA Self Regulatory Program site. Turner is a participant in the online industry's self regulatory program administered by the and has agreed to adhere to the DAA's principles applicable to interest-based ads.
The tools provided on the Ad Choices page, as well as the DAA opt-out page and the NAI opt-out page, are provided by third parties, not NDM or Turner, we do not control or operate these tools or the choices that advertisers and others provide through these tools.
When using a mobile application you may receive tailored in-application advertisements. Depending on your device, you may be able to reset your mobile device’s advertising identifier at any time by accessing the privacy settings on your mobile device. In addition, each operating system, iOS for Apple phones, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices, provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application advertisements. You may review support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems in order to opt-out of tailored in-application advertisements. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact the applicable platform operator.
How We Respond to Do Not Track Signals
At this time NASCAR.COM does not recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include “do not track” instructions.
NASCAR.COM may contain links to or integrations with other sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other media services and platforms, whose information practices may be different than ours. Visitors should consult the other sites' privacy notices as we have no control over information that is submitted to, or collected by, these third parties.
NDM and Turner operate globally so it is necessary to transfer your information internationally. In particular, your information will likely be transferred to and processed in the United States where many of our central databases operate. The data protection and other laws of other countries, such as the United States, may not be as comprehensive as those in your country. Please be assured that we take reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy is protected. By using this site you consent to your information being collected, used and transferred as set forth in this privacy statement.
We have put in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures designed to help prevent unauthorized access, to maintain data security, and to use correctly the Information we collect online. These safeguards vary based on the sensitivity of the information that we collect and store.
Although we take appropriate measures to safeguard against unauthorized disclosures of Information, we cannot assure you that Information that will never be disclosed, altered or destroyed in a manner that is inconsistent with this privacy statement.
How You Can Access or Correct Information
Access to certain personal Information that is collected from NASCAR.COM and that we maintain may be available to you. For example, if you created a password-protected account within our site, you can access that account to review the information you provided.
You may also send an e-mail or letter to the following e-mail or street address requesting access to or correction of your personal Information. Please include your registration information for NASCAR.COM, such as first name, last name, e-mail address in the request. We may ask you to provide additional information for identity verification purposes, or to verify that you are in possession of an applicable email account.
NASCAR.COM/NASCAR Digital Media, LLC
Attention: Email Administration
One Daytona Boulevard
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
How to Contact Us/Opting Out of Marketing Communications
If you have any questions or concerns about the online privacy statement for this site or its implementation, or if you would like to opt out from our sharing of your personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes you may contact us at the above address and request that we opt you out of such sharing. We may ask you to provide additional information for identity verification purposes, or to verify that you are in possession of an applicable email account.
If you have signed up to receive our e-mails and prefer not to receive marketing information from this site, follow the "unsubscribe" instructions provided on any marketing e-mail you receive from this site. If you have signed up to receive text messages from us and no longer wish to receive such messages, you may follow the instructions to stop delivery of such messages, which may include by replying “STOP” to the received text message.
California Residents – Your California Privacy Rights
California's "Shine the Light" law, Civil Code section 1798.83, requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California customers asking about the business' practices related to disclosing personal information to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. Alternately, businesses may have in place a policy not to disclose personal information of customers to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes if the customer has exercised an option to opt-out of such information-sharing. We have such a policy in place.
As discussed above in How to Contact Us/Opting Out of Marketing Communications, if you wish to opt-out of our sharing of your personal Information with third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes or to find out more about your opt-out rights, please contact us as described above.
Updates & Effective Date
From time to time, we may update this privacy statement. We will notify you about material changes by either sending an email message to the email address you most recently provided to us or by prominently posting a notice on our site. We encourage you to periodically check back and review this statement so that you always will know what information we collect, how we use it, and with whom we share it.
The Privacy Statement posted on this site was updated August 26 2015.
© 2015 NASCAR Digital Media, LLC