Official Site Of NASCAR

Keselowski talks safety, details Watkins Glen wreck

LONG POND, Pa. -- Brad Keselowski's bone-jarring crash at Watkins Glen International earlier this week was the result of an improperly installed brake line on his No. 2 Penske Racing Ford.
 
"There was an installation error with the brakes," Keselowski said Friday at Pocono Raceway, site of Monday's Pennsylvania 400 (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR). "The brake line wasn't installed in the proper way and it broke."
 
Keselowski's accident occurred July 26 during the first day of a two-day organizational test for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams at WGI. The series is scheduled to compete there Aug. 5-7.
 
Moments after completing a session-leading lap of 124.572 mph on the 2.45-mile road course, Keselowski's Ford went off track and nose-first into the tire barrier located at the end of the frontstretch.
 
He was not injured in the high-speed impact, and was back on track the following day in a backup entry.
 
"I understand the whole tire barrier concept," Keselowski, said. "In general, I'm not comfortable with tracks that have runoffs that lead to very harsh angles, and that's certainly the situation that (WGI) has, and always has had it.
 
"Road courses remain the most dangerous tracks in motorsports for a good reason because of that, but we know that going in. Some place has to be the safest and some place has to be the most dangerous."
 
Safety advances made by NASCAR as well as many of the teams competing today have lessened the likelihood of serious injury, but the threat remains.
 
In 2011, Keselowski won at Pocono less than a week after chipping a bone in his ankle during a hard crash during testing at Road Atlanta. That incident led to a complete evaluation by the organization of its safety protocols.
 
The result was a redesign of the pedals, floorboard and seat, he said, and the evolution of steering wheels and other interior pieces have lessened the threat of serious injury as well.
 
"From what I can tell at this moment, all of the pieces that we were able to redesign performed very well," Keselowski said of the WGI incident. "The one piece that we weren't able to redesign was the steering column. That's probably the weakest link in those type of impacts at the moment."
 
What else needs to be done? Keselowski admitted he doesn't have the answer.
 
"The answers I do have," he said, "is that there's only so many of those hits you are going to take before someone gets killed. It's just the way it is.
 
"It's not something I'm comfortable with, but I think as a sport there are a lot of different ways to look at it. At the end of the day I'm still standing here.
 
"That's something that the smart guys that work on that stuff are going to have to figure out some time."