GMS Racing announced Wednesday that veteran Johnny Sauter will not return to the team for the 2019 NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series. The organization indicated that the separation was effective immediately.

Sauter, 40, spent the last three seasons with the GMS No. 21 Chevrolet operation. In the first year of his partnership with the Maury Gallagher-owned team, Sauter marched to the 2016 series championship.

GMS indicated that plans for a new driver of the No. 21 Chevrolet would come at a future date. But Sauter, in a timely appearance on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio on Wednesday, indicated that 2018 series champion Brett Moffitt was in line to replace him with GMS.

MORE: Moffitt joins GMS Racing for 2019

“I’m a big boy, 40 years old, and have been racing a long time,” Sauter told SiriusXM. “That’s the way it goes sometimes. That’s all I know about it. That’s all I can tell you.”

Sauter has competed full-time in the Truck Series since 2009, finishing among the top five in the standings in eight of those 10 seasons. Of his 23 career wins on the circuit, 13 have come in the last three years with GMS.

RELATED: Sauter’s career stats | On the Move: 2019 changes 

“We cannot thank Johnny enough for his contributions to the growth and success of GMS Racing,” GMS president Mike Beam said in a statement released by the team. “He won the first championship for us and added a lot of trophies to our shop. We wish him all the best for his future endeavors, both in and out of racing.”

Sauter scored six victories last year, matching Moffitt’s series lead, but wound up fourth in the standings after a 12th-place finish in the season finale behind race winner Moffitt.

Sauter said he heard rumblings about his ouster last month at the season-ending awards banquet. He also said his plans for competing in 2019 remain uncertain.

“It’s kind of late in the game, obviously,” Sauter told SiriusXM. “Daytona’s only a month away, so you don’t want it to go down like that but there ain’t a whole hell of a lot I can do about it. It’s just life. What’s next for me? Don’t have a clue. You see a lot of drivers get sidelined — good drivers — and that’s the nature of the beast.”

RELATED: 2019 Truck Series schedule 

It’s no secret the biggest move over the NASCAR offseason was Joe Gibbs Racing’s dual acquisition of Martin Truex Jr. and crew chief Cole Pearn from Furniture Row Racing. The pair racked up 16 wins over the past three seasons and added a championship in 2017 — making them the hottest free-agent commodities in NASCAR toward the end of last season.

Kyle Busch, on the other hand, enters his fifth season with crew chief Adam Sevens and things seem to be trending up with the No. 18 team as well. The pair have notched 22 wins together, with a whopping eight coming last season. They, too, have won a championship together in 2015, which was arguably the most trying year of Busch’s career. The veteran’s road from major injury to major celebration cemented his pairing with Stevens as one of the best in the garage.

The big winner in all of this is Joe Gibbs, himself. The acquisition of Truex Jr. and Pearn can only help all four teams at JGR, but the question remains — with two of the best driver/crew chief pairings under one roof, who’s got the better shot at the title? NASCAR.com’s Jonathan Merryman and Pat DeCola debate.

RELATED: On the move — driver changes analyzed

Merryman: Who’s the 2019 favorite at JGR? In my eyes, it’s more of the same. Kyle Busch is the greatest driver currently competing in NASCAR at any level, and the addition of Pearn and Truex Jr. to the Gibbs organization will only elevate that.

Busch is just 33 years old and already has 51 wins at the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series level. Twenty-two of those have come with Adam Stevens since they linked up in 2015 — that’s a lot of winning in just four years. If you do the math, 43 percent of Kyle’s career wins have come in that short span and that doesn’t look to be slowing down anytime soon.

Sure, Pearn is thought of as one of the top three crew chiefs in NASCAR and yes, the No. 19 team will be a force in 2019. The old adage is that “a rising tide lifts all ships.” Busch is at the top already and Pearn’s notebook makes Gibbs as a whole better, making Busch and Stevens that much better as well.

DeCola: This debate really is a bit of a coin flip. We know both of these guys are likely to make a deep playoff run, with the end goal of racing against each other in Miami in the Championship 4. We also know Truex and Pearn being in-house at JGR will be a boon for the whole organization in many ways, it just comes down to who benefits the most from it.

And I think we’ll see the revamped No. 19 Toyota with Truex and Pearn at the helm see the most advantage from it.

The increased success that Furniture Row Racing had with Truex and Pearn over the past few years was in large part due to their alliance with JGR. Truex went from having three career wins through 2015 (he started his full-time career in 2006) to adding 16 over the past three seasons with that partnership. And that partnership was one that, mind you, was between two race shops 1,500 miles and a few time zones apart.

It’s hard see how Truex and Pearn actually being in-house at JGR full time won’t allow them to set the bar even higher for themselves in 2019. Then you can take into consideration the fact that the team won’t have the distraction of an uncertain future hanging over it again like the second half of last year at FRR and the pairing’s shot at the title looks even more rock-solid.

I seriously think the 2017 champion  Truex is a threat to contend for double-digit wins, and is, in my opinion, not just the most-likely title contender at JGR, but the title favorite overall.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Gus Dean will move up to the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series in a full-time opportunity for the 2019 season, Young’s Motorsports announced Wednesday at the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Dean will drive the No. 12 Chevrolet Silverado with crew chief Jeff Stankiewicz and primary sponsorship from LG HVAC and Baker Distributing — their first voyage into the sport.

“I’m in one of the big three (series) with a full-time schedule, unveiling my truck at the NASCAR Hall of Fame,” Dean said following the announcement. “The sun was definitely shining a little brighter when I woke up this morning. … If you can imagine a kid for the first time walking into Disney World, that’s about where I’m at right now.”

RELATED: Latest Silly Season updates | Boyd to run No. 20 truck in ’19

The 23-year-old joins Spencer Boyd after Young’s Motorsports unveiled Monday that Boyd would pilot the No. 20 entry for the upcoming season.

Dean is optimistic about joining an organization that continues to grow in the Truck Series and feels he can be a strong contender for Sunoco Rookie of the Year.

“To build and grow as a driver with a team as they’re building and growing, you can lean on each other, learn from each other and really progress forward,” Dean said. “That’s a quick and easy way to really turn heads.”

The No. 12 truck Gus Dean will drive in 2019.
Chase Wilhelm | NASCAR Digital Media

Dean has competed in the ARCA Racing Series for three years, participating in the full-time schedule for the past two seasons. In 2016, Dean ran seven races and scored his first career victory at Talladega. Dean finished fourth in the final points standings in 2017 and notched another victory and a sixth-place points position last season.

The Gander Outdoors Truck Series NextEra Energy 250 season opener at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 15 will be Dean’s first NASCAR national series start.

“I’ve always loved the big tracks and restrictor-plate racing,” Dean said. “I know these trucks are going to handle a lot different in the air, so I’m excited to learn about that, but I think that we’re going to do great.”

RELATED: 2019 Truck Series schedule

In 2018, Austin Hill ran the full-time schedule with the organization in the No. 02. The seat opened up for Dean in a renumbered truck as Hill will move over to Hattori Racing and the No. 16 truck for 2019.

Hailie Deegan and Julie Giese were named to Forbes’ “Women In Sports To Watch In 2019,” giving NASCAR two representatives on the list.

Deegan made history in 2018 with her win in the Sept. 29 NASCAR K&N Pro Series West race at Meridian Speedway. She became the first female to ever win in the K&N Pro Series. The 17-year-old NASCAR Next driver is returning to the K&N Pro Series West ranks with her eyes on capturing the series championship.

RELATED: Deegan makes history with win | Deegan: ‘I want to be the best driver’

Giese was named President of ISM Raceway in October of 2018 and presided over the first weekend of the track’s completed renovations. The bulk of the track enhancements were focused on upgrading the fan experience and included new seating as well as updated areas around the garages and pit row to allow for closer access for fans.

BUY TICKETS: See the races at ISM Raceway and other 2019 action

Music megastar Justin Timberlake sent the city of Charlotte into a tizzy the past couple of days, taking a few swings at the Topgolf driving range, getting in some hoop work at the Charlotte Hornets’ practice facility and, perhaps most importantly, grabbing some BBQ at a popular Queen City establishment.

And this was all before electrifying an audience at the Spectrum Center on Tuesday night — a crowd that included a slew of NASCAR’s biggest stars.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsZucerjNse/

During the show, though, only one of these guys got a shoutout on stage from JT, himself — and it was JG.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsZtRjTj4MO/

Timberlake is already holding a mic — as the retired Gordon does in his current profession as a broadcaster — so the cool throwback dance move pretending to hold a steering wheel was definitely the right choice.

Amid a rush of personnel changes for the 2019 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series season, two drivers among last year’s final eight in the postseason hunt take over new rides: Kurt Busch moves to the No. 1 Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet, and Martin Truex Jr. assumes driving duties for the No. 19 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota.

But which star driver in a new spot will have the most immediate success? Our Kathy Sheldon and Zack Albert tackle the topic.

RELATED: Drivers, other moves for 2019 | Kurt Busch to CGR

SHELDON: Kurt Busch. He qualified for the NASCAR Playoffs all five seasons he was with Stewart-Haas Racing, with 2018 the most successful in terms of poles (5), average starting position (8.8) and top-10 finishes (22). Busch won a single race in 2018, but his teammates picked up another 11 trophies, and he very well may thrive as the veteran member of a two-man team with Kyle Larson rather than amid a four-car squad.

The 2004 champion should continue to contend for wins, and achieve more than one in 2019 as Chip Ganassi Racing enters its second year with the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. Chip Ganassi said when Busch’s move to the No. 1 car was announced that he was excited to have a veteran driver who did a good job providing feedback on car set-ups in his previous stops. Busch’s experience, combined with Larson’s drive to run fast and up front — and bounce back from a disappointing 2018 — should fuel both drivers.

ALBERT: Martin Truex Jr. The 2017 Monster Energy Series champ is on the move for the season ahead, but the transition is likely to have fewer seams than other driver-team shifts. Truex’s efforts for Furniture Row Racing the last three seasons had been under the auspices of a technical alliance with his now-new team, Joe Gibbs Racing. Bringing that satellite operation in house should smooth the waters, and keeping masterful crew chief Cole Pearn connected with Truex should lift all boats.

Here’s an honorable mention for Matt DiBenedetto’s new partnership with Leavine Family Racing, which now assumes the mantle of the JGR alliance — a development likely to produce sweeping gains in performance. But for now, going with the chalk means MTJ, who is most likely to retain the championship-caliber form he’s had for the last four seasons.

While we wait to see what the No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Camaro ZL1 will look like for the upcoming season, Jimmie Johnson’s daughters offered up a couple ideas of their own.

Genevieve and Lydia put markers to paper, creating some colorful paint scheme concepts.

Johnson’s ride will be decked out with full-time primary sponsorship from Ally Financial for the 2019 Monster Energy NASCAR Series season. The seven-time champion will appear on ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Jan. 11 to unveil the new paint scheme.

MOORESVILLE, N.C. – Hattori Racing Enterprises (HRE) team owner Shige Hattori announced today that the organization is pleased to welcome Austin Hill to drive the No. 16 Toyota Tundra in 2019. Hill, a native of Winston, Georgia, joins HRE’s team, led by crew chief Scott Zipadelli, to compete for the organization’s second consecutive NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series (NGOTS) championship.

As a graduate of the 2014 and 2015 NASCAR Next classes, Hill has accumulated 51 NGOTS starts over five seasons and completed his first full-time year of competition in 2018. The 24-year-old brings a wealth of success in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East, where he captured five victories in 39 career starts with his family-owned team. In 2018, Hill notched a career-best fifth place result at Texas Motor Speedway and earned six top-10 finishes.

MORE: Drivers on the move

Hill will pilot the No. 16 Chiba Toyopet Toyota Tundra for the season opener at Daytona International Speedway and will be joined in his championship quest with sponsorship from United Rentals for multiple races.

Hattori Truck Paint Scheme

“I’m thrilled to join HRE this season,” Hill said. “Shige has built a great team and what they accomplished last season has me extremely optimistic heading to Daytona. I’ve had the pleasure to work with great teams in the past, including my family’s team in the K&N Series, but this is an opportunity of a lifetime at HRE. Scott and the team proved what they’re capable of last season, and I can’t wait to get to work and see what we can accomplish this season.”

Coming off the first championship in the organization’s history, Hattori is pleased to return in 2019 with the addition of Hill and United Rentals.

“We’re proud of what all of our team members did last season, and I’m looking forward to having Austin drive our trucks and work with United Rentals and all of our partners,” Hattori said. “Austin had a great career in the K&N Pro Series and did well in his first full-time truck series season last year. I’m looking forward to what we can do together this season.”

RELATED: Hill’s career stats

Zipadelli shares Hattori’s eagerness to start the season and continue the team’s success with Hill behind the wheel.

“I’m really looking forward to racing with Austin and continuing our team’s success,” Zipadelli said. “Austin is a great kid and has a lot of potential. He has a great track record in the K&N Series and put together a strong year last season with Young’s Motorsports. I think he’ll transition well into our program and fit right in with our group.”

Additional sponsorship information will be announced at a later date.

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (Jan. 8, 2019) – Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) announced today that Auto-Owners Insurance has signed a multi-year agreement to serve as a primary sponsor of Martin Truex Jr.’s No. 19 Toyota Camry in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series.

Auto-Owners Insurance, one of the nation’s largest insurers writing more than five million policies, joins JGR after a successful three-year partnership with Truex that has resulted in victories each season. Truex will pilot the No. 19 Auto-Owners Insurance Toyota Camry in eight races this season with the first coming at Bristol Motor Speedway on April 7.

RELATED: Bass Pro Shops continues partnership with Truex 

“Auto-Owners has been an incredible partner for a long time,” said Truex. “It means a lot to me for them to join us in the move to Joe Gibbs Racing this year. Auto-Owners has been very supportive as both a sponsor of our racing program and also the Martin Truex Jr. Foundation. We’ve had great success the past few years and we’re looking forward to continuing that this season as well.”

Auto-Owners is based in Lansing, Mich. and offers multiple lines of insurance, including life, home, auto and business to customers in 26 states. In addition to supporting Truex on the track, the company has also become a key partner supporting the Martin Truex Jr. Foundation through multiple initiatives such as “Ride With Martin,” a fundraising program started by Auto-Owners that allows company associates to have their names placed on the hood of Truex’s race car in exchange for a donation to the Martin Truex Jr. Foundation.

“To us, Martin is more than just an awesome driver and spokesperson for Auto-Owners, he has truly become a dear friend to our team,” said Mary Pierce, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Sales at Auto-Owners Insurance. “We are excited to have the opportunity to continue our partnership with Martin and look forward to working with Joe Gibbs Racing and the No. 19 team as we root Martin on to another championship.”

Brad Keselowski will have a new spotter in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series next season as Coleman Pressley will join the No. 2 Ford team.

The personnel move was first revealed Friday in a newsletter to Keselowski’s fans and confirmed by a Team Penske representative Monday. Pressley replaces Keselowski’s longtime spotter Joey Meier, who announced last November that his tenure atop the spotter’s stand had ended after the 2018 season.

RELATED: On the move in 2019

Pressley served as the spotter for the JTG Daugherty Racing No. 47 team and driver AJ Allmendinger last season. The 30-year-old North Carolina native is the son of former Monster Energy Series driver Robert Pressley.

The younger Pressley has 12 Xfinity Series starts as a driver to his credit and was the 2010 champion of the former UARA-Stars Late Model Series. His most recent NASCAR competition behind the wheel was nine races in the K&N Pro Series East from 2011-13.

Meier was instrumental as a guiding voice from the spotters’ stand for several of Keselowski’s biggest triumphs, especially at superspeedways. He first became Keselowski’s spotter in 2006.